- French bread, cut in half lengthways
- 1/2 cup good quality chopped tinned tomatoes (with all excess liquid drained)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of tomato purée
- 1 tsp reduced sugar ketchup
- 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Dried mixed Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings: (can be anything of your choice)
- Sliced onion
- Sliced mushroom
- Sliced bell peppers
- Roughly chopped jalapeño peppers
- Mozzarella cheese or cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce together and smear the sauce over the French bread.
- Add the toppings as you like and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Place in the oven for 7 mins until cheese has melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Canned Tomatoes: High in fiber and lycopene (absorbed better when eaten with a fat like cheese and olive oil!)
Mushrooms: Contain potassium, Vitamin D, and selenium.
Bell Peppers: Red peppers are high in beta-carotene, Vitamin C, and anti-oxidants.
Onion: Immune boosters high in Vitamin C, manganese, and anti-inflammatory properties.